When searching for assignments that would ideally combine my character with another, I found the prompt, “You’re a Pinteresting Character”, which states:
Build a Pinterest page of at least 20 pins for a character of your choice. Search for pins that relate to your character and things that he or she would want to pin for themselves. Use X-Ray Goggles from Hackasaurus to modify the board further to personalize it for your character. Bonus points if you build a page and have visitors to your blog guess which character you picked!
This assignment is worth 4 points.
Rather than building the page for only Julia James, I made it a joint page for Julia and her cousin, Edie Waz, as their relationship was established in our radio show, “The MaNOIRpulators”. The 20 pins were divided, with 10 relating to Julia and 10 relating to Edie. I studied my own character dossier and that of Aubrey Howland‘s, the creator of Edie, to find pins that apply to all aspects of the characters’ lives.
I will begin with an explanation of Julia’s 10 pins, which highlight her favorite things, her classic look, and her interests.
1) Ruby Red Grapefruit Vodka is the main ingredient in her favorite martini that she enjoys after a long, hard day at both of her jobs.
2) Upon graduation from high school, she got accepted into Harvard but was unable to go, due to her parents’ divorce. Therefore, it is, and always will be, a dream of hers to attend law school there.
3) Julia is a natural beauty, so she does not feel the need to lather on make-up. She always goes for the natural look, especially with her eye makeup.
4) She often does not have time in her day to apply a lot of make-up, which is one of the reasons why a natural look works so well. A minimalist routine gets the job done!
5) Jewel’s all-time favorite book is, “The Black Dahlia,” so she had to pin this one up on her board, of course!
6) Julia must work out consistently to maintain the tight body that helps attract her “targets”, but it is also something that she loves to do.
7) In the midst of all of her sexy blouses and high heels, the one piece of clothing that Jewel is sure to wear daily is her signature black pencil skirt. Therefore, she wears it in a variety of ways to spice up her look.
8) Julia lives her life based upon the idea that women are strong and independent, and therefore, this quotes speaks to her soul and background.
9) As a big fan of enjoying a delicious alcoholic beverage at the end of the day, Julia is always looking for cocktails that satisfy that desire without hurting her healthy diet.
10) The final pin of Julia’s is her subtle weapon of choice, sharp scissors. She carries them on her person constantly for times that she may “need” them.
Julia’s cousin, Edie, has some similar interests when it comes to drinking and her look. However, she also has some things that are all her own.
1) As the owner of her husband’s bar, in his mysterious absence, Edie must learn the lingo that is used by its customers.
2) Edie is a Polish woman who grew up in the Polish section of Philadelphia and always longs to get back to her roots.
3) A major part of her classic look is a big hat and mesh veil that she wears with mystery.
4) Edie smokes all of the time, typical of a woman in distress and a woman who grew up the way she did.
5) Another aspect of her fashion statement is tight, black clothing. She wears a different combination of tight garments, always in black, everywhere she goes.
6) As a girl standing just above average height, she often wears high heels to seem more imposing.
7) Short girls often have a tough time finding fashion trends that fit their body type, so Edie is sure to pin them to her board.
8) Edie grew up in Port Richmond, Philadelphia, also known as Fishtown. It is the polish section of the city where she left after her mother died.
9) When Edie smokes, which she started after her mother’s death, she often chooses to smoke cigars.
10) Edie’s final pin is a Polish proverb. She often speaks in these proverbs, as she has a rich knowledge of them.
These pins represent almost everything that is Julia and Edie. These cousins have dark pasts and even darker futures. I found the pins by either searching Google and using the “Pinterest” button to add it to the board or by searching Pinterest directly. Completing this board was an ideal way to visually portray Aubrey’s and my character dossier, as well as strengthen the connection between Julia and Edie. This assignment was fun and allowed me to branch out into the social media world even more by creating a Pinterest account for Julia, in addition to her Twitter and Gmail.